Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Paanch kahaniyan – five stories


Women understand women better:
I travelled a lot using public transport when I was in Toronto for 2 years. There generally bus does not stop once it leaves the stand even if you are late just by a second or two. But I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a lady bus driver stopping for a lady who was carrying two heavy bags and it was quite cold and windy outside. I was thinking why we don’t have more women professionals, we would have been better off. They understand each other better.

Appearance does matter:
Generally, I take office cab to commute for work but one day I had to come early so I took metro on my way home after office. As usual metro was crowded so I was standing by a pillar. Three stations passed by and I still couldn’t get a seat. One guy who seemed younger than me got off from his seat and offered me his seat. Despite telling him that I am OK and asked him to stay put but he still got up and insisted me to sit instead. I couldn’t understand why he would offer me a seat. I wasn’t looking tired or sick. I thought he might have to alight at the next stop, but he continued for at least 3-4 more stops. It got me thinking. After much deliberation in my head, it struck me that it could have been the case that I was wearing suit and talking in English. Is this the only criteria? I was happy to get the seat, but it dichotomized me that how people get influenced just by appearance.

Balloon seller at the signal:
While coming back from office, we were waiting at the signal at AIMMS flyover when a ten something years old girl came to our car to sell her balloons. We were not interested to buy balloons, but the girl was relentless. She dropped the balloon inside the car and immediately after, signal turned green and our car started moving. We tried everything from persuading to threatening her so that she can take her balloon back, but she didn’t budge. We finally had to throw the balloon out. Yes, they are living a tough life but what if some mishap happens and there are so many vehicles on the road? Also, I don’t encourage young kids to be wandering in the streets selling things for partly sum.

Encounter with another balloon seller at midnight:
Like any other night we were out for coffee at midnight. After finishing coffee at Galleria market, while our way back we were accosted by a balloon seller. He was pleading so that we could buy a balloon from him. Then suddenly, he started saying, Sir you spend so much in party and food and this balloon costs less than that of a beer price. That kind of infuriated me. We also work hard to get what we get, may not be in as tough conditions as they do but it doesn’t come easy for us as well. I was so put off and decided not to buy his balloons. Should I have bought his balloons?

Kindness goes a long way:
Once I had to go to Mexico Embassy to get my Visa. I entered into office leaving my bag at the gate, but I had to come out to get my office ID card. I opened the gate and asked the gatekeeper if I can take out my ID card. He agreed and said "Sir,aapne jis tareeke se poocha, mai aapke liye kitni bhi baar permission de sakta hoon" (The way you asked me, I can permit you as many times as you want). After taking out my ID card, I closed the door gently and did all the Visa formality.

When I was leaving, the guy comes and says, "Sir, yahan to chaprasi bhi pair se darwaja kholta hai, aap toh bahut gentle hain (Sir, here even peon opens the door by pushing his legs, you are too gentle)”. I smiled, and he reciprocated. Kindness goes a long way

Ending with a smile because it is contagious.
These are true stories. Comment below if you have any interesting story to share.
Tis the season. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For the guy who gave you seat, maybe it was sign of respect Don't doubt him. I have seen loads of young school and college going people sitting unabashedly even when a senior citizen is standing. Once a guy has to ask another one to vacate seat so his wife carrying a new born can sit. Such apathy is so disappointing. And for ballon kid, buy sometimes atleast they are not begging and putting atleast some effort. We say to beggars you should work but when a street vendor asks is to buy we don't. We should walk the talk atleast sometimes. Do not buy all junk off the street but lets say once a week. For encouraging them.